If you have a mattress that you no longer need, you may be wondering where to donate it. You can donate mattresses to numerous places, including charities, religious organizations, and even shelters. Keep reading to learn more about where to donate your unwanted mattress.
Local Mattress Donation Options
Looking to donate your old mattress but not sure where to take it? We've got you covered with a list of local mattress donation options.
- Goodwill: Goodwill accepts donations of all types of items, including mattresses. To find a location near you, visit their website and enter your zip code.
- Salvation Army: The Salvation Army also accepts mattress donations. To find a location near you, visit their website and enter your zip code.
- Habitat for Humanity: Habitat for Humanity ReStores accept donations of new and gently used items, including mattresses. To find a ReStore near you, visit their website and enter your zip code.
National Mattress Donation Programs
There are several national mattress donation programs that will take your old mattress and either recycle it or donate it to someone in need. Here are a few of the most popular programs:
- Goodwill: Goodwill accepts donations of all kinds, including mattresses. You can either drop off your mattress at a Goodwill location or schedule a pick-up. All proceeds from donated items go towards supporting Goodwill’s mission of helping people find employment.
- Salvation Army: The Salvation Army also accepts mattress donations and will either recycle them or give them to people in need. To donate, you can either drop off your mattress at a Salvation Army location or have it picked up.
- Habitat for Humanity: Habitat for Humanity accepts mattress donations and uses them to help families in need of housing. You can either drop off your mattress at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore or have it picked up by scheduling a pick-up online.
- Mattress Recycling Council: The Mattress Recycling Council operates in several states across the US and provides recycling services for mattresses. To find out if there is a recycling facility near you, visit their website and enter your zip.
How to Prepare Your Mattress for Donation
When you've finally decided to get rid of that old mattress, you may be wondering how to go about donating it. You can't just leave it on the curb with a "free" sign taped to it - someone might take it, but more likely, it will end up in the landfill. So what's the best way to donate your mattress?
Here are a few tips on how to prepare your mattress for donation:
- Find a local charity or donation center that accepts mattresses. Some organizations that accept mattresses include Goodwill, The Salvation Army, and Habitat for Humanity.
- Call ahead to schedule a pick-up time. This will ensure that someone will be available to take your mattress when you drop it off.
- Clean your mattress before donation. Remove all bedding and any stains or dirt on the surface of the mattress. A clean mattress is more likely to be accepted by the donation center.
- Wrap the mattress in plastic before transporting it. This will protect the mattress from getting dirty or damaged during transport.
- Drop off the mattress at the scheduled time and place. Once you've dropped off the mattress, be sure to get
If you're looking to donate your mattress, there are a few different options available to you. You can donate it to a local charity or shelter, you can recycle it, or you can sell it and use the proceeds to donate to a cause of your choice. Whatever option you choose, know that you're helping someone in need and making a difference in the world.